Thursday, March 15, 2007

In Need of a Manicure

So after 3 days of waiting, B rolls in. But by then I am a wreck! Emotionally exhausted, not coping with the 5 am jump starts from a dark tent, followed by 8 hours of labour and not enough food. Not to mention I am desperately in need of a manicure, my cuticles are torn and bleeding... So regretfully I exit the volunteering life and travel on ahead, while B joins the ride (finally!) and wiles away an easy 81kms down the east coast of Tassie to meet me in Bicheno.

While riding through Elephant Pass, B stopped at the Elephant Pass Pancake Parlour where he noted that they had gluten-free pancakes! He didn't bring me one however..... :( OK it probably would have been cold and squished by the time it got to me....

While in Bicheno we went on a Penguin Hunting Expedition. We saw many, many penguins, up close and personal, one even made a break for it running between my feet. But alas all the photos failed, due to the low lighting, no flash conditions. You'll just have to believe me that they were all exceedingly cute.

The next morning B continued on - riding along the coast, and I hopped a bus to Hobart to hire a car and meet him back up in Swansea where we had a two day stop.
Swansea was also the first place on my list of gluten-free restaurants - The Ugly Duck Out, and I was keen to try it out.

I think I ate every meal there for two days: breakfast, lunch and dinner. And I still hadn't worked my way right through their menu. It was a little pricey and I got gluten-ed once (although the chef did apologise profusely, citing a busy lunch and perhaps not cleaning the grill properly).

On the no-ride day we went around to Coles Bay on the Freycinet Peninsula and took in the Hazards.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard great things about the Elephant Pass Pancake place from other sources too. Tasmania's a great place to see some beautiful country in between meals!