Thursday, August 03, 2006

Am I, Aren't I....

No, not pregnant!

In about an hour I should know if I am celiac or not. I've been getting progresively sicker over the last 10 months, and I'm finally getting the proper test done. I've had the blood tests done, and they came back negative, but I understand that happens sometimes, and I also wonder whether I was actually eating enough gluten at the time to actually trigger the anti-bodies anyway. We'll know soon.
Celiac disease would explain an awful lot of my symptoms, so I am kind of hoping it is that. The "cure" is to not eat *anything* with gluten in it *ever* again. Which is hard - it basically excludes almost all packaged/pre-prepared foods - so lots of cooking in my future. I'll have to find the time somehow.

Of course, if it isn't celiac, then I have no real diagnosis, and just keep on being sick I guess... (Which is why I am hoping at least for a diagnosis.)

I am a little nervous about the test today. They will be putting me to sleep and sticking a camera down my throat to look at my stomach lining, and also taking a biopsy to examine it under a microscope.

B's taking care of me this morning, making sure I get home from the hospital-type place. No MIFF for me today, but he should still be able to make some later today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrea - very, very best of luck for a diagnosis and cure - Liz