Saturday, September 08, 2007

An Ethical Question

So my goal today was to pack at least one box.

My un-goals (necessary but not very exciting) was to do the work jobs allocated, 3 loads of washing, change a light-bulb, put the dish-washer on, prepare dinner, stock up on cat vet-food etc, etc.

So during a lull in the work and after the first load of washing was on the line (yes - external-line! - wow! {I've been too tired for an eon or two to be bothered hanging stuff outside to dry}) and the second load in, I taped up the bottom of a box and started packing. I'm still coughing from a bout of bronchitis, so there were additional frequent rest breaks.
This box had been planned out in advance - after all there really isn't that much you can pack a month in advance.... But I thought all of my dodads could be safely packed away - the statutes I'd brought back from travels and various carved wooden bowls and more statues, and presents of the artistic kind (not to mention those three little cute cats in my "About Me" box up there on the left)... So I'm wrapping up these delicate items in swathes of newspaper and wanting to pad out the spaces inbetween to allow for some extra cushioning - which brings me to my ethical question of the moment...

Is it wrong to use stuffed animals as a soft packing item?

I also collect stuffed elephants (no, no idea how / why / where I started - I just have a thing for elephants), and there's also a few other animal shapes in there from memorable moments in my hmmm... adult... life. These are now safely packed away, guarding the fine wooden carvings and bowls and glassware and soap-stone carvings...

No problem really, I just have this niggling feeling that there is something inherently wrong in treating them as fancy bubble-wrap.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What a good idea. Of course I'd need *lots* more yarn to do that effectively... Hmm Moving House as a stash enhancement excuse^H^H^H^H^H^H reason.