Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Back in Time - the start of the holidays

I've been waiting over 3 weeks for decent internet access, so I can finally start blogging about my holidays. I'll only be able to cover a bit at a time, as I'm now back at work - and stress levels are mile high already.

So... Friday 3.3 weeks ago we flew out of Melbourne heading to Brisbane. Straight after work from Avalon - my first venture to this south of Melbourne / north of Geelong airport. We arrived in good time, yet the plane was delayed - groans all-round (except from us, who really didn't care half an hour one way or t'other). We officially arrived in Brisbane a few minutes past midnight on Saturday morning, jumped in a taxi to my folks place and crashed into a bed after politely declining the flannelette sheets, doona and extra blankets - yes I know it is winter - but not when you're from Melbourne!

Saturday saw a leisurely start, with gift giving - Dad liked his Father's Day scarf, and Mum liked her birthday knitted face-cloth. Then Mum and I were off to the shops so I could fulfill a mother's day gift of several years ago - a pedicure. The delay resulted from a promise that I'd arrange it next time we were in the same city, and so it arrived (even though she had to book it). It was the first time for both of us, and I can say I loved being pampered. A foot spa and rub down, my feet felt so good. I opted for nail polish even, but Mum wasn't able to be quite that outrageous and went the clear French polish look.

We'd dropped B at JB Hi-Fi on the way through, and he spent several blissful hours hunting out CD's he didn't yet own, (yes there are a few), while Mum and I bonded over pumice stones and flat whites.

Sunday saw an early start as we headed off south to Byron Bay to visit my brother and his family. Pete has a photographic stall at the markets, so we hunted him down before getting into the serious business of market browsing. Byron markets are huge! I'd only ever seen some of the smaller weekend markets down that-a-way before - Mullumbimby, Bangalow - so just was not prepared for the sheer size of the Byron Markets - and it seemed most of it was locally made too - a rarity in these days of commercial hippie-ness.

After a market lunch we headed to the beach - Wategoes - just 'cos you have to got to the beach at Byron,

and then I took B up to the lighthouse
and we walked out to the "Most Easterly Point on Mainland Australia",
which is just down the way from the lighthouse:
before heading to the hills and catching up with my bro's family.

You may recall that my nephew's expressed an interest in learning to knit? And learn they did. Photos and stories on that - next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

Isn't Avalon airport hylarious? So much more fun than Tullamarine. I like an airport building whereby you can walk from one end to the other in 50 metres, and there's only room for one shop. I also like the old fashioned walk out onto the tarmac to board the little plane, just like in the movies. I knew Avalon was the place for me when I realised that half the carpark is just a dirt paddock!

Also, I'm with you on the pedicure. My feet are so bad, I've bypassed pumice and gone hardcore - sandpaper. If I didn't sandpaper my feet weekly, I swear I'd grow hooves. - Liz