Thursday, July 27, 2006

There's a little less sand on Fraser Island

The next day we arrived in Hervey Bay - rather late in the evening with no-where to stay... not an unusual thing for us really.

We didn't really try too hard to find somewhere, but haggled on the first place we found and got the asking price down from $100 pn to $85 is we stayed for 2. And so we ended up with a single-bed unit for two nights, very swishly done out, very, very comfortable, and walking distance to the beach and food.
B was keen on Fraser Island so we booked a tour for the next day.

Fraser Island is unique in that it is the only place in the world where there is a rainforest growing in sand. The whole island (bar a few started rocks) is 100% sand.
Below is one of the tourist features of the island - the coloured sands. Unfortunately it was raining on the day we were there, apparently the colours can be quite a lot more spectacular.

Next stop was a ship wreck - the Great Barrier Reef extends down this way too:

Another feature of the island are the fresh water creeks, which are crystal clear, and of course all sand. The touristy thing to do is to walk up the stream bare-foot. I really wanted to, but I'm a bit of an old fuddy-duddy, so we walked up the boardwalk. I'd had enough at the head of the creek - B can look around for hours, so I told him I was heading back. The look on his face was priceless when he turned around a couple of minutes later to see me with shoes off and heading down Eli Creek.

And yep - it was fun!

Because Fraser Island is a World Heritage place and a National Park, you get the feeling that it should be all untouched beaches...

But perhaps not, what with all the tourist companies on the island.
And so we left Fraser, as evening fell....


Yes, there's a little less sand on Fraser Island now. I didn't mean to take it with me, it followed me home, in my socks, in my shoes, in my clothes, it's everywhere!

No comments: